Posted on 04/04/2019 at 10:00 AM by Sadye Scott-Hainchek

There are two types of Iowa residents: those who embrace the state’s political-hotbed status and those who want to hide under a blanket until it’s all over.

And among the former group is a particularly passionate cluster of Democrats who have decided to read the memoirs of each of the contenders for 2020 presidential nominee.

It all started, according to the Des Moines Register, when Andrea Phillips, the Iowa Democratic Party vice chair, wanted to tweet about Pete Buttigieg’s book.

But she worried that it would seem like she was playing favorites, so naturally, her next thought was: Why not read each candidate's memoir and enlist other political junkies to join?

Learn more about the Iowa 2020 Book Club (and join, if you’re so inclined ... we’ll pass ... ) in the Register.

Categories: Today in Books

Tagged As: Book club, Memoir, Politics

Comments
I would love to be in this book club! Best Regards, Karen Lumpkin
Karen Lumpkin | 07/04/2019 at 06:50 AM
To all of our commenters -- I'm sure the book club organizers would be thrilled to have you! The article we linked to explains that you can join via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2020bookclub/.
Sadye at Fussy | 07/02/2019 at 08:39 AM
I just heard about this today on msnbc. What a great idea! Please Tell me how I can join this book club.
Janet Hohn | 07/01/2019 at 09:30 PM
An educated electorate? What a novel idea! I want to join!
Marilyn DeMoranville | 07/01/2019 at 08:37 PM
I just heard about this today on MSNBC and I think it’s a great idea. I don’t live in Iowa, is there a way to do this on line?
Laurie Raynor | 07/01/2019 at 04:16 PM
I know that 5 books have already been read but I would love to join. I have cacaused as a dem in every presidential election sin e 1996
Diane Sorensen | 07/01/2019 at 04:13 PM
looking forward to reading
Karen McDermott | 07/01/2019 at 03:11 PM
I’m in Georgia and a political junkie and would love to be included in the Iowa book club. What do I have to do to get started. Would it be as easy as to just pick up a candidates memoir and start reading.
Sheila Maxwell | 07/01/2019 at 03:05 PM
U want to do this!
Elizabeth Morris | 07/01/2019 at 03:01 PM
I’m so excited about this, I would love to do it. I’m sure I would not think to do this let alone do it on my own. Thank you!
Faye Hefte | 07/01/2019 at 03:00 PM