Posted on 11/21/2014 at 12:00 AM by Jeffrey Bruner
Elizabeth George Speare was born on this day in 1908. Speare wrote children's books and twice won the Newbery Medal. She's best known for "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" (1958) and "The Sign of the Beaver" (1984). Speare died in Arizona in 1994 at the age of 85.
- "The Christmas Secret" (Donna VanLiere, literary fiction). $2.99. Kindle.
- "Lorik" (Toby Neighbors, fantasy/science fiction). 99 cents. Kindle.
- "No Dawn for Men" (James Lepore, action adventure). $2.99. Nook.
- Mattel apologizes for the disaster of "Barbie: I Can Be a Computer Engineer."
- Want to ask William Gibson a question? Click here.
- Authors talk to The Guardian about the challenge of writing certain characters at different stages in their writing careers.
- Beach Boy Mike Love is writing an autobiography.
- Daniel Handler, i.e. Lemony Snicket, has apologized for a racial joke he made at the National Book Awards this week.