Posted on 12/03/2014 at 12:00 AM by Jeffrey Bruner
Joseph Conrad was born on this day in 1857. Conrad was born in Poland and didn't learn to speak English until his 20s, but is considered a giant of English literature. "Lord Jim" and "Heart of Darkness" are his best-known novels and the latter was famously adapted by Francis Ford Coppola for his 1979 film "Apocalypse Now."
- "The Queen of the Tearling" (Erika Johansen, fantasy) $1.99. Nook.
- "House of Bathory" (Linda Lafferty, historical fiction) $1.99. Kindle.
- A new Toni Morrison novel -- "God Help the Child" is due out in April.
- Zoe Sugg's "Girl Online" has recorded the fastest start for an author since they started keeping track of these things in 1998.
- Does reading fiction make you a better person? A study says yes.
- Someone has returned a copy of "Gone with the Wind" to the library ... 65 years after it was due back.