Posted on January 11, 2022 at 8:00 AM by Sadye Scott-Hainchek
Digital lending continued its upward growth in 2021, according to the digital reading platform OverDrive.
It said in a news release that 506 million ebooks, audiobooks, and digital magazines were checked out last year at schools and public libraries, a 16 percent increase over 2020.
And 121 public library systems recorded over a million digital loans, which is also up over 2020, when 102 such systems hit that milestone.
Here are some top-five checkout lists across the 76,000 libraries and schools that use OverDrive:
Most popular ebooks
1. The Four Winds, by Kristin Hannah.
2. The Midnight Library, by Matt Haig.
3. The Vanishing Half, by Brit Bennett.
4. The Guest List, by Lucy Foley.
5. Nomadland, by Jessica Bruder.
Most popular audiobooks
1. A Promised Land, by Barack Obama
2. Where the Crawdads Sing, by Delia Owens.
3. Cold Mourning, by Brenda Chapman.
4. The Four Winds, by Kristin Hannah.
5. Greenlights, by Matthew McConaughey.
Top digital books by genre
Adult fiction: The Four Winds, by Kristin Hannah.
Adult nonfiction: A Promised Land, by Barack Obama.
Young adult fiction: Five Total Strangers, by Natalie D. Richards.
Children’s fiction: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, by J.K. Rowling.
Categories: Today in Books