Posted on 09/02/2018 at 12:00 PM by Sadye Scott-Hainchek
How many times have you been confounded by a task — or undertaken a new one — and thought “I’ll just YouTube it?”
Chances are, quite a few times. But, cautions Betsy Graziani Fasbinder, that doesn’t mean the how-to book is dead.
Fasbinder has five specific steps to ensuring that your how-to book still brings value to modern readers.
1. Simplify your writing process.
2. Don’t try to teach every single thing you know. (Hey, reminds us of the curse of knowledge!)
3. Modernize for today’s audience.
4. Use spellbinders to make the ideas clear and memorable.
5. Keep your audience front of mind.
Check out her post on Jane Friedman’s blog for further explanation and examples.
Categories: Behind the scenes